Case sensitivity in Livecode ??

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jun 1 14:54:18 EDT 2022

On 01/06/2022 18:05, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:

> Anyway, this rather odd and obscure facet of the language will
> disappear in 10 as we've made it so that initializers for constants
> and locals can be constant expressions. Thus:
>
>     constant kTrue = TRUE
>     local sEmptyString = empty
>
> Will do precisely what they look like they should do...

Good.
> Also, you'll be able to do things like:
>
>     constant kPiBy2 = pi / 2
>     constant kPiBy2Squared = kPiBy2 * kPiBy2
>     constant kPiBy2String = format("%f", kPiBy2)
>     local sPiMap = { "pi-by-2": kPiBy2, "pi-by-2-sq": kPiBy2Squared }

Very good. In fact, great !! Thank you!

Would you be ale to do something like

constant kPiMap = { ... as above ... }

And now I'll push my luck and ponder the possibility of 'global' constants.

OK - 'global constant' is likely counter to the scope concepts. But
perhaps they could be done as "write-once" variables, or as a more
general "write-protected' variable.

e.g.

(somewhere in a start-up script ...)

    put 17 into gkMyMagicValue
    writeprotect "gkMyMagicValue"

and any *subsequent* attempt to change the value would fail.

> P.S. Amusingly, your question came up on exactly the same day I
> 'finished' my patch for the above - it now awaits review which may
> result in it not being quite finished ;)

Yes, coincidences do happen :-)

Thanks for the explanation Mark.

Alex.