wait 0 with messages

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Sat Jul 30 19:49:36 EDT 2022

On 7/30/22 12:53, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
> My understanding of 'wait 0 with messages' is that it will cause any
> pending messages, that are not scheduled for a time later than the
> current time, in the pendingMessages queue to be processed before
> continuing. Messages later than the current time (when the statement is
> executed) will not be processed (yet).
>
> Is this correct?

My understanding of this is close but not quite the same.
The "wait 0 with messages" statement is the fastest implementation
("wait 0") of an opportunity for the system event loop to process any
pending instructions. The "with messages" statement in effect yields
control to the event loop to check if any "send in time" messages have
timed out and are pending or to handle other tasks that may have
accumulated (mouse or keyboard events, etc).

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com