What is the best way to trigger an action at a certain time?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Tue Jul 12 16:15:17 EDT 2022

I think I may not have been very clear.

This isn't LiveCode doing anything special; just a standalone LiveCode app
that either does something immediately on launch (and then quits), or inspects
the command line parameters to decide what to do (and then quits).

I usually create a .bat file (on Windows) or .sh file (on Mac/Linux) to run
the LC app with the appropriate parameters.

On Windows you run the "Task Scheduler" and create a task to run the .bat
file, with whatever schedules you like. On Mac/Linux you edit the 'crontab'
file adding one or more lines with the interesting syntax to execute the .sh file.

Your app can read the command line parameters (on Mac/Linux or Windows) by
inspecting the special global variables $0, $1 etc.

The only gotcha is that on Mac, you think your app is at e.g.
  /Users/yourname/Myapp

  - but actually on Mac what appears to be an application "Myapp" is a bundle
(i.e. a folder with a special flag so the Finder pretends it's not), and the
path to the executable app is e.g.
  /Users/yourname/Myapp.app/Contents/MacOS/Myapp

On Linux and Windows, it's where you think it is!

Ben