What is the best way to trigger an action at a certain time?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Tue Jul 12 10:48:04 EDT 2022

Hi Tim,

On 11/07/2022 12:35, Tim Selander via use-livecode wrote:
> I want to have an LC app running on a computer doing nothing but watching the
> time. At predetermined times, I then want it to run a command. A call to an
> API on a website.

My $0.02, FWIW: it this is really all your app is doing, and the times are
every fee hours or days, rather than every few seconds, I would use the
computer's built in scheduler to invoke your app, rather than have it running
continuously and watching the time.

I have a number of things like this - LC apps which are launched by schedule.
On Windows, the Windows scheduler (I generally use a batch script which
launches the app in this case); on Mac or Linux, use cron. I find this more
reliable, easier to update etc.

Ben