Reviving CD-ROM material [was: Re: Livecode and interactive video]

Colin Holgate colinholgate at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 11:47:13 EST 2022

Between Feb 1992 when I moved to the US, and May 1995, most of the floppy disks and CD-ROMs I programmed were done in HyperCard. Any of those would be easy enough to hack. I had been doing the Mac version, and other companies would do the PC version. From May 1995, being cross platform right away was more important, and so I started using Macromedia Director. For those CD-ROM I would either keep the document files in their editable format, or I would have a folder on the CD that included the editable files. The way I looked at it was that I had thousands of backup copies of the source files. I did do 10 CD-ROMs using Oracle Media Objects, which was another way to make cross platform HyperCard like titles.

That still all predates Revolution. By the time Run Rev were sitting on top of MetaCard we were doing more web activities, all in Macromedia Director. Then by 2000, three years before Run Rev acquired MetaCard, I had to start using Macromedia Flash for the web work. The documents Flash produced were not easily editable after being published.

Some day I’ll find time to recreate the HyperCard products in LiveCode!