PDF Viewer widget: expected experience from set the currentDestination?

Keith Clarke keith.clarke at me.com
Wed Jan 5 13:48:47 EST 2022

I’m still struggling to find the Rosetta Stone for the PDF widget that connects the page & rect of any currentDestination with its link text on that page of the PDF, to enable recreation with scripting of the links that one sees out-of-the-box in PDF viewers such as Preview or Adobe.

I must have missed something as it would appear that the metadata peters out after one has established that a page ’n’ in the PDF document contains:
- via currentDestinations: none to maybe a few dozen links, each with part of an ‘href’ and it’s rect top-left corner defined, but no label text or page text start & end offsets;
- via hilitedRangeText: a chunk of plain text with no html or other ‘markup’ hints at what might constitute link text;
- ...and never the twain shall meet.

If this is really the state of the art with the widget and its wrapping of PDFium, I can’t see how it can be scripted to work - so I think I’ll need to start looking elsewhere, outside of LC for a mechanism to access PDF text & links.

Please tell me I’m wrong and am missing something obvious?
Best,
Keith