Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Feb 22 03:50:06 EST 2022

On 2022-02-21 23:47, Tom Glod via use-livecode wrote:
> This is how i did it .....  I hope this helps.
>
> First to use the "numberofrecords" way of setting the datagrid data.
> This is key, that way you only ever trigger loading of visible rows.

So I've not got much to add to Tom's method

i.e. make sure the datagrid is only creating rows on demand, rather than
up front, and then requesting images and updating them when they arrive

Beyond a suggestion to ensure the images which are being downloaded are
already suitably sized/thumbnailed for display.

Decompressing images is a relatively expensive operation - decompressing
and then downsizing them (thumbnailing) even more so.

So, if you control the webservice that is providing the images it would
probably be worth making it so that the server can send you images at
the size needed and do the thumbnailing on the server (caching the
results alongside the original image on the server).

For maximum fidelity you want the width/height * the device pixel scale
(which can vary from 1 to 3 these days).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps