Install LC on Chromebook

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Feb 17 15:45:28 EST 2022

On 2/17/22 12:51 AM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> I haven't, but...
> I'll assume this is an intel chromebook, not an arm processor.

Yes, Intel i3.

> LC doesn't have a "normal" linux installer, i.e., .rpm or .deb file.
> You have to download the installer then change the permission bits to allow it to be executable.
> If you can change the permissions via the chromebook ui then do it that way. Otherwise from the
> commandline you could just say
> chmod +x LiveCodeInstaller-9_6_6-Linux.x64
>
> After that you can launch the installer. I assume (silly me) that you can double-click an
> application on a chromebook to launch it, but if not you can launch it via the commandline:
>
> ./LiveCodeInstaller-9_6_6-Linux.x64
>
> Now you have the choice of installing for just you or for everyone. You'll make life a lot
> easier on yourself if you select "just you".
>
> ...don't get me started on the (lack of an) uninstaller.

This worked! :) I had to set the executable bit from the commandline, everything else worked
fine. I found my license and got the Intro startup window. When I closed it I got a blank white
screen with no native way to get rid of it. No palettes, interface, nothing. Just white.

I was pretty excited there for a minute.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com