Install LC on Chromebook

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Thu Feb 17 01:51:51 EST 2022

On 2/16/22 21:40, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> Has anyone installed LC on a Chromebook? I've got the Linux partition
> set up and I've found instructions on how to download Linux apps via
> terminal but nothing about doing it with installers. I downloaded and
> tried both the 64 and 32 bit installers but Chrome OS tells me "this
> type of file is not supported" for both.
>
>> From what I've read I need a .deb file but this is my first dance on
>> Linux.
> I don't know what I'm doing.

I haven't, but...
I'll assume this is an intel chromebook, not an arm processor.

LC doesn't have a "normal" linux installer, i.e., .rpm or .deb file.
You have to download the installer then change the permission bits to
allow it to be executable.
If you can change the permissions via the chromebook ui then do it that
way. Otherwise from the commandline you could just say
chmod +x LiveCodeInstaller-9_6_6-Linux.x64

After that you can launch the installer. I assume (silly me) that you
can double-click an application on a chromebook to launch it, but if not
you can launch it via the commandline:

./LiveCodeInstaller-9_6_6-Linux.x64

Now you have the choice of installing for just you or for everyone.
You'll make life a lot easier on yourself if you select "just you".

...don't get me started on the (lack of an) uninstaller.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com