(area used by) Keyboard in iOS 15.x

Pi Digital sean at pidigital.co.uk
Fri Feb 11 07:31:43 EST 2022

Hi Mark

This is really useful to know. Thanks for all your testing and research.

Just a note about what iPhoneSafeAreaInsets is for. It returns the number of pixels from the top (the second item, 47 in your case) to allow for the top notch and from the bottom (4th item, 34) to allow for the onscreen app switcher bar at the bottom of the screen. This is in portrait mode. This changes to be the 1st and 4th items (47,0,0,34) or 3rd and 4th (0,0,47,34) in landscape mode because the notch will be on the left or right but the app switcher remains at the bottom. If the phone is upside down and your app allows for this the you could have the notch at the bottom which will make it something like 0,0,0,81.

Thanks and all the best

Sean Cole
Pi Digital

> [...]
>
> Sorry, it appears I attached the wrong link. Hopefully this one works better!!
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/2igqdbroxy5onf7/Test%20Layout%2013.livecode.zip?dl=0
>

>> On Feb 10, 2022, at 10:08 PM, Mark Smith <marksmithhfx at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> Once again thanks to the many of you who provided advice and suggestions. They were really very helpful in coding up this full working example. In the interests of sharing I have posted an example into a dropbox account, and will upload a copy to the forums at some point. This example takes a “dummy” layout of my Organize app (nothing is being saved, most features are not included) and redraws the main screen to fit the target device using just iPhoneSafeAreaInsets() and "the effective working screenRect" and nothing else (no fullscreenmode for example). It works remarkably well. I have tested it on a physical SE, 6S, 11, 12 and 13 mini and it adapts to each screen as you would expect. It is remarkably satisfying to see it adapt to changes in the keyboard size (predictive, not predictive) on the fly. No special code was required to do this.
>>
>> You’ll need to compile the example for iPhone and use a developer profile to install it on an iPhone device. The simulator does not really provide a useful simulation primarily because it does not simulate the behaviour of the keyboard very well (however, if you just want to see how the layout adapts, it is perfectly fine for that). Its possible I have not developed the most efficient method of coding the layout. If you have any suggestions, I’d be most grateful to receive them.
>>
>> UI tips:
>> 1. tapping once on white space below the dg entries dismisses the keyboard (so does the “down arrow” when it appears in the header bar).
>> 2. tapping twice adds a new blank line (or inserts the cursor into an existing one) (so does the “+” sign in the header bar).
>>
>> The rest should be obvious, I hope. All of the layout is in the card script. All of the dg code is in the dg handler and behavior script.
>> Finally, if you have any questions, please feel free to send them on.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Mark
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmri0dy5j5qtc8c/test.livecode.zip?dl=0
>>

>>> On Dec 27, 2021, at 12:05 PM, Mark Smith <marksmithhfx at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you Sean and Jacque,
>>>
>>> I’ve not had a chance to work on a complete solution but thought I would make a test run to see what “the effective working screenrect” was returning and as the following indicates, it does in fact take into consideration the keyboard. I just coded up one line to  run whenever the status of the keyboard changed and tried it both with and without the “predictive” option turned on. As you can see, it was very sensitive to this change…
>>>
>>> without predictive:
>>>
>>> 9:37:14 PM keyboardActivated 0,0,375,451
>>> 9:37:15 PM keyboardDeactivated 0,0,375,667
>>> 9:37:18 PM keyboardActivated 0,0,375,451
>>> 9:37:19 PM keyboardDeactivated 0,0,375,667
>>> 9:37:19 PM keyboardActivated 0,0,375,451
>>> 9:37:23 PM keyboardDeactivated 0,0,375,667
>>>

>>> with predictive:
>>>
>>> 9:56:54 PM keyboardActivated 0,0,375,407
>>> 9:56:55 PM keyboardDeactivated 0,0,375,667
>>> 9:56:55 PM keyboardActivated 0,0,375,407
>>> 9:56:57 PM keyboardDeactivated 0,0,375,667
>>>
>>> In my particular case not all 4 value are immediately useful. For example, I have a fixed header and footer that need to be accommodated so the correct “useable” rect for me is:
>>>
>>> 0,69, 377, 618 (for no predictive)
>>> 0,69,377,456 ( for predictive)
>>>
>>> but this can easily be accommodated since the header/footer values don’t change. The beauty is I now have a rect lower bound (ie. keyboard height) that actually reflects where the keyboard is.
>>>
>>> Brilliant!! Thank you both,
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>>> Sean, I tried iPhoneSafeAreaInsets() but it appears it returns a constant set of values regardless of keyboard position on my iPhone 12
>>>
>>> 11:51:22 AM keyboardActivated 0,47,0,34
>>> 11:51:22 AM keyboardDeactivated 0,47,0,34
>>> 11:51:26 AM keyboardActivated 0,47,0,34