Question about organization of large projects

ELS Prothero prothero at earthlearningsolutions.org
Fri Feb 4 21:56:13 EST 2022

Folks,
Rather than thrashing around on this, I am asking for some general guidance.

I am working on a large project that has a splash stack, some stacks that do things, and some of those stacks access data contained in the app. It’s a project I built at least 10 years ago and, of course, it needs to be 64bit.  I’m revising the navigation between different stacks and making other additions. I have set the stack locations in the stackfiles property of the splash stack. These filepaths are constructed according to the development folder that contains the project.  The required data file ares specified in the stack settings preferences of the development environment.

So, I notice that the specialfolderpath(“resources”) returns different paths, depending on which of the project stacks calls it. So, my idea is to maybe set up all of the paths to the data in the splash stack using specialfolderpath as a base location. This worries me a bit because I’d like the various pieces of the project to be modular, so I could use them easily in other projects.

Question: should I set all paths of stacks and data in the splash stack? Also, do you have any suggestions on the use of specialfolderpath, where it’s appropriate when other stacks are in that path?

Thanks for pointing me to a resource to help me understand and optimize this, or give suggestions.

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
https://earthlearningsolutions.org