Sorting [was: Polygrid sorting]

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Thu Aug 25 11:38:15 EDT 2022

So what if you use the column headers on a PolyGrid (or whatever) to
give the user a UI for sorting by column (adding, or not, sort arrows to
the header labels).

Is it still more efficient to re-query the database with the new, user
chosen, sort order and repopulate the PolyGrid?

Or more efficient to just resort the data already populated into the
grid in the desired order the user has chosen? I suspect this later is
the more efficient case unless you are sure you have a fast network and
server with low latency and no competition for bandwidth.

As always, people's use-cases for these widgets vary widely. That is why
the more versatile a widget is the often (but not always) the better it is.