Livecode performance problem

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Fri Aug 19 18:07:52 EDT 2022

Off the top of my head:

split v1 by tab
split v2 by tab
split v3 by tab
split v4 by tab

put the keys of v1 into tKeyList
sort tKeyList ascending numeric

repeat for each line tKey in tKeyList
   put tKey & tab & v1 [tKey] & tab & v2 [tKey] & tab & v3 [tKey] & tab & v4 [tKey] & cr after tCombined
end repeat

Not sure if this will be faster, but every time you refer to a line of a string the engine has to parse out where that line is from the beginning. Parsing times will increase exponentially (is that the right term?) the more lines you are parsing in both the source strings AND the destination string.

But arrays are indexed memory locations so the engine knows exactly where every bit of text is. And putting something after a string does not have to parse to find the end, the engine knows where that is in memory. It might be even faster though if you build an array as output and then use the combine command to convert it all at once to a string.

I am assuming of course that splitting does not put lines of text in random order in the array. Arrays can be dicey that way.

Bob S