Livecode / Github

Mike Kerner MikeKerner at roadrunner.com
Thu Aug 18 20:39:31 EDT 2022

Hey Skip, long time...
I don't know if you were around when script-only-stack behaviors came into
being, but you can now rip all of the code out of your stacks and happily
use vc/git. The stacks themselves are still binary (although several of us
have been messing with dumping that paradigm completely, it's less
practical than I would have hoped, as of today).
Navigator will export every script in a project into behavior stacks, and
Monte wrote a stack called "Scriptifier", if memory serves. It's embedded
in the LC bundle, and it does the same thing, namely extracting all the
scripts out of a project and putting them into .livecodescript text files.
Levure is great. I have used it with every project I've worked on for
several years, BUT you don't have to use it to go this route.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 7:04 PM Martin Koob via use-livecode <

> Hi SKIP
>
> Welcome back to the list!
>
> There is Levure which I knew of as a third party application framework
> created by Trevor DeVore but I just did a search for it and I see it now on
> the LiveCode website described as an App Collaboration Framework.
> https://livecode.com/products/livecode-platform/levure/ <
> https://livecode.com/products/livecode-platform/levure/>  So it must have
> at some point migrated to the mother ship.
>
> I haven’t used it but I have considered migrating my application to it.
> It works with version control systems as long as you follow its
> recommendations about how to organize your code into behaviours that are
> stored in script only stacks which are just text files that a version
> control system can read (These are somewhat new so depending on when you
> last used LiveCode they may be new to you.)  This was an enhancement that
> has enabled the use of version control for scripts in a project. It is the
> binary stacks that versions control systems can’t track so in Levure those
> are just used for user interface.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Martin
>

> > On Aug 18, 2022, at 6:38 PM, Skip Kimpel via use-livecode <
> >
> > Greetings!
> >
> > Been a while since I have been on this list.  Working on a new project
> and
> > wondering if the backing up of Livecode files to Github was ever
> > implemented and created.  I know there was talk of it at one time.
> >
> > I apologize if it has been in place for a while and I am just out of the
> > loop.  Actually, I HOPE that is the case!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > SKIP

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."