Comparison chart for DataGrid, PolyList, PolyGrid, list fields....

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Thu Aug 18 18:50:22 EDT 2022

On 8/18/2022 6:29 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> If a newcomer needs to display a list, how can they know what to use?
>
> Currently we have:
>
> - list field
> - Table field
> - DataGrid
> - PolyGrid
> - PolyList
> - others?
>
> Is there a chart listing the features of each that I can point new
> users to when this question comes up?

No list, but I did discover one reason for choosing PolyGrid over
DataGrid recently. Large number of columns (such as user generated
research data). The DataGrid is a group and so is limited to a total
width of all columns of 32767px, or about 327 columns at the default of
100px per column. Exceed this and the data stops displaying. I have
tested PolyGrid with 1000 columns without issue. The Datagrid column
limit can also be an issue if you are close to the limit and the user
resizes 1 or more columns to exceed the total pixel limit (assuming you
have column resizing turned on, which it is by default)