megabundle thoughts

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Aug 5 13:34:53 EDT 2022

I kind of agree with Paul (though I ame to the opposite conclusion).

Once I discounted the items I'd already paid for (conferences, courses,
books, etc.) and the multi-year future licensing already paid, the value
of the megabundle shrank from "amazing" to "pretty good".

I decided to go ahead anyway (so I now have a $300 or $399 voucher that
I may never get to use).

But about the widgets ....

I am very impressed by the PolyList widget; it lets you make
sophisticated looking lists, including multi-column ones, very easy; I
always disliked the fact that DataGrid couldn't do multi-column. I do
think it needs, and will get, improvements (for example, I'd like to see
a graphic UI to specify dataLayout - the current way seems kind of
late-80's-ish :-)

Polygrid looks like it could be useful in the right place - haven't used
it yet.

Responsive layout - seems like a great addition - I look forward to
trying it out, but haven't got there yet.

Haven't yet investigated the others. I think they could all do with
better documentation and examples, so I'm really waiting for a tutorial
or blog from Steven before I dive into each :-)

Oh - and last thought - they could *really* do with a better release /
version system, but that should resolve itself over time.

Alex.