devcon 2022 recap

Mark Talluto mark at canelasoftware.com
Thu Apr 28 20:46:32 EDT 2022

Hi Everyone,

We should have Appli forums in the coming week or so. I’ll try to keep Appli-related responses to a minimum.

Appli comes in two parts.
Part 1 - Appli IDE runs as a desktop app that you can download from appli.io. Interesting note: We designed the IDE to work on desktops and tablets like iPads.

Pat 2 - Appli Player is available from Google Play and iOS app stores.

Appli makes native apps only. They feel like web apps because they use the cloud for distribution and data storage. We are looking to support the web export feature in LC 10 when it is feasible to do so.

No-code and low-code
These are fun words that do not mean much. I said they are great buzz words to have on hand in my conference presentation. :)

We have wizards that can do complex actions with a few clicks. We also have a list of actions that you can drag onto a workflow that effectively replaces typing code. The killer feature is that you can use actual LiveCode scripts in Appli.

Canela and LiveCode have partnered to bring a different type of tool for app makers to market. Our collaboration aims to get more people into the LiveCode community. We believe that a larger community will benefit everyone. This summer, we will execute a marketing plan for people outside our beloved LC community to try Appli. We will do our best to excite people to take full advantage of their license features. One of those features is access to the LC IDE (no standalone building).

Our mutual hope is that new people will try Appli and eventually fall in love with LiveCode. These developers will see Appli, LiveCloud, and LiveCode as a suite as tools to help them make apps.

Licensing Appli means you are also financially supporting LiveCode. We do not want to generate any uncomfortable friction by providing an alternative method for making apps. Since day one of its existence, we have been LiveCode developers and, long before, with MetaCard. Appli is made 100% in LiveCode. It is a comprehensive example of a complex solution made in LiveCode.

The LiveCode team has plans to express the goals of our suite soon. When they announce, I am confident they will clearly articulate the value proposition.

If anyone has Appli questions, please feel free to write us at hello at appli.io.

-Mark Talluto