AW: IDE performance (Re: Suggestion: Non-Appbuilding Community Edition)

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 04:38:58 EDT 2021

Hi Lagi

I just went back and repeated my steps from a couple of days ago.

New start for IDE, new stack, pasted in the same 8,000 lines as a comment.
And this time there was no slow down. So it does look like any such
problems are less predictable than my initial test suggested. I toggled on
then off all the options in the Script Editor related to autocomplete, etc.
And no matter what state they were in made no difference.  In the light of
this unreproduceability - how can LC be expected to identify/fix this
problem?   It may not even be within their control and certainly they can't
start to spend resources investigating it if the professional programmers
using LC on Win10 can't identify a predicable pattern.

I took my 8,000 lines of text and re-started the IDE multiple times. And
then I added 50% more to the comment. It does seem that the longer the
script is the more likely that your treacle problem is going to appear.
Perhaps if you tried this you could come up with a more definite pattern
and if so, then LC could look at why it is that a 8000, 12000, 18000 line
script causes a slow down.  With 12,000 lines even switching off all the
Edit/Options made no improvement: adding a return to a line took 3 seconds
for the screen to update.

What happens if you have a 24,000 line script? Do you get a predictable
pattern? Is it always slow?  Once you get a predictable recipe then LC Ltd
have something they can work on. Personally I'd find a 12,000 line script
really hard to navigate. But until LC Ltd specify that there's a length to
how long a script can be, there's no reason why you shouldn't have 12,000
line scripts.

Yesterday my Win10 laptop totally froze. I had open only two programmes: MS
OneNote and Chrome.  Even ctrl-alt-delete did nothing. I couldn't even
bring up task manager to see what could possibly be using all the
resources. After minutes of waiting for it to respond, I went to remove
battery and power cable (normal power button is set to hibernate not power
off), and suddenly it started to respond again. When I worked in tech
support I was the star problem solver. And now I've over 20 years more
experience with computing, but these days Windows 10 leaves me scratching
my head. MS have done some great things (WSL is one of them).

In my experience the weird behaviour I experience with Win10 is much, much
rarer on a Mac (I can't remember an incident in 20 years of using a variety
of Macs). On a different Win10 machine I have a well-know SQL editor.
Whenever it asks if I want to apply an update to it and I click "no", it
crashes. It's never been updated since I installed it. But this behaviour
only started a few months ago. To me that's really weird. When something
works I don't upgrade because it works as is.

Regards, Bernard

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 11:59 PM Lagi Pittas via use-livecode <