LiveCode 10 - what are your thoughts on the new features?

Keith Martin thatkeith at mac.com
Wed Sep 8 07:14:13 EDT 2021

> On Sep 7, 2021, at 11:04 PM, Martin Koob via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> My wife and I have an ongoing disagreement about the term 'couple of’ in terms of counting.  I say it means around 2 or 3ish.  She says it means 2. Further she says if you wanted to say 3 or 4 you would say ‘a few’.

I'm the kind of person that distinguishes between 'like' (exclusive: similar to but not) and 'such as' (inclusive: similar to and part of the comparison set), so this is coming from a position of pedantry, but that's because I am a writer...

Strictly speaking, 'a couple' means two, no more and no less. In casual use (when counting, not when referring to relationship partnerships) it isn't unusual for it to be used in place of 'a few' and possibly mean three or even four, but it's not technically *correct.*

I too hope your wife's logic is what holds true!

:)