Suggestion: Non-Appbuilding Community Edition

prothero at earthlearningsolutions.org prothero at earthlearningsolutions.org
Mon Sep 6 18:16:58 EDT 2021

Folks:
I’ve been following this thread and have a few thoughts I decided to share.

Interestingly, I don’t see Android support for XOJO. Hmm….

In my case (I have a Commercial license), I am really happy that version 10 of LC will be improving the web software. I’ve been thinking about diving into that realm, but have a couple of projects I’m pecking away at, for now. I also like the idea of improving the access and documentation of code libraries. Seems odd that audio recording is still not supported on Apple OS’s.

I’ve programmed in several languages, including Fortran, Pascal, Basic, Hypercard and Lingo (maybe others I’ve forgotten about). For me, the “English Language” coding claim is over-sold (“put 3 into x” vs "x=3” doesn’t thrill me either way). Once I get beyond the “Hello World” part of LC, it goes well beyond English language. If thens, Switch, for next, global, arrays, etc are common in all languages. To do anything beyond elementary requires digging into the docs. However, the multi-platform, iOS, Android capabilities and the fabulous way interface items (buttons, fields, etc) are easily built, is huge. I also appreciate that the app building procedures have gotten a bit more straightforward, with community help. I love that I can load an iOS app directly onto my phone for testing.

I use Livecode for my personal projects and one that is pretty big that I give away for free. It’s one of my hobbies and a way to, in a small way, pay back for the significant money I received from the National Science Foundation to develop educational software and strategies during my pre-retirement years. I’m happy to pay for my perpetual commercial license. I’m interested in education. I’d love to see a well documented framework that can be built on, that connects livecode projects to course management systems and has options that can be included to perform basic classroom tasks. Education would be the focus.

Best to all livecoders,

Bill Prothero