Suggestion: Non-Appbuilding Community Edition

Lagi Pittas iphonelagi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 14:07:53 EDT 2021

Hi Bernard,

I could be called one of the whiners but I have paid my indy licence since
the kickstarter and the business Upgrade (until a year ago - Incase I
needed it - I didnt).

My biggest "whine" is not the ending of the open source initiative - it's
the fact that OUR biggest competitors (XOJO and B4X) have non expiring
licences and at least a non time limited "trial" version.

B4X went open source not too long ago and only charges for the IOS version
and a nice donate $10, $20, $40, $100 on each page.

No people can't be bothered to get in-touch to pay unless some itch was
just scratched - Have sent money for free stuff that I have used only once
when they got me out of a sticky situation..
I use paypal whenever I can so I don't have to get involved with entering
CVS or other "screening" make it easy and people will pay - "Don't make me
think".

Calling people parasites because they want the open source to continue (but
with better differentiation) is not constructive.

I think they should have open sourced the Linux , Windows and NOT the
mobile and only allowed sqlite in the open source versions.

You can do everything but when you want to get serious you have to pay.

If the Mobile was (of teh top of my head) priced like Xojo and the "lite"
version two without expiring so it is in livecodes interests to add value
yearly rather than fix old or regressive bugs
then people would renew yearly if there was a discount for an unbroken
subscription.

The starter system is easy (very easy)

The full lite version (windows, Mac or Linux)  with a limited binary size -
big enough for kids and schools to write useful programs but not so you
could write a full sales purchase nominal ledger
(see BBC Basic for  windows)

You could have not a nag screen but a text link in the bottom right corner
with a link to a page saying 50% discount (or whatever) for first year.

The suggestion Kevin gave that people would share stacks to run ignores the
fact that somebody wants the banana (the App/stack) and must install the
Gorilla (2G installer).

Anybody who would bother is the type who doesn't value their time so isn't
going to buy anything however cheap.

The future is the kids and the only way of capturing them is to make it
easy for them to send out a link to a program they wrote to friends and
family to show off what they did.
Make the binary big enough so that a side scroller can be written but such
that they would have to balance internal and external graphics.

A arter system does can be limited to 1 printer,  output to 1 pdf file per
session/ run / 18-20MB windows binary (at least it should be able to run
many of the programs written as games on the samples site)

But the biggest "limitation" and the best advert is the link to livecode
on the screen for a gui project and a 3 to 5 second popup for a
console type program.

The biggest error livecode has made all these years is not creating a
"working" storefront that doesn't look like it has been totally given up on.

Look at the addons created for XOJO  - and XOJO makes money on those

https://xojo.com/store/
https://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/

I still prefer livecode for a lot of reasons but I could easily jump ship
(as I have non expiring licenses for both of these ) two of which I
purchased this year - just because.

Regards lagi

On Mon, 6 Sept 2021 at 16:05, Bernard Devlin via use-livecode <

KIndest Regards Lagi