Suggestion: Non-Appbuilding Community Edition

Keith Clarke keith.clarke at me.com
Thu Sep 2 13:27:32 EDT 2021

I came to Livecode from lightweight website hackery - cobbling together HTML & CSS as a non-coder (using W3schools guidance for every live of javascript). I was (and still am) relieved by the higher-level English-like language of Livecode.

None of the (dozens of) utilities I’ve created for my personal & small business use have ever needed to move beyond the IDE - or a single card for that matter. The Livecode IDE has become a personal toolbelt item for me.

If the Livecode team can keep this ‘personal toolbelt’ IDE concept available to students for free (and home users for little) - the way Microsoft does with Office - could bring through the next generation of paying developers. But one doesn’t reach the long-term without passing through the short-term. So, meanwhile, they need to do what they must to keep the ship afloat and the crew inspired.

Just my tuppence-worth.
Best,
Keith