Calling all fish!

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 08:22:57 EDT 2021

Don’t go , we love you :)

The open source version, is alive. It just needs maintainers. Personally I think this move by LiveCode is healthy. We now have two choices a free open source edition maintained by the community, and a closed source version maintained by LiveCode LTD. If you want to use the commercial wizz-bang extras LiveCode LTD adds - then you can upgrade.

In the meantime the language should go it’s own way. The language I believe has always wanted to be a free and open literate language, that enables anyone to code in an English like syntax. That vision was the foundation of the Kickstarter Campaign and was called Open Language.

I believe the community should maintain that vision. I for one am going to dive in :) I see this in two parts.

The first is preserving and maintaining the current code base. The LiveCode engine is rich and powerful. Using the current community edition you can create pretty well anything you want. Preserving this and strengthening the existing sharing of code, and documentation gets us a long way.

Second I feel we should aspire to something meaningful and motivating for the future of the language. This would be a long term vision, with a lot of learning on the road there. This is how I see it for myself personally, and of course I would love it if I had some company on the way :)

Open Language is something I know that is close to LiveCode Ltd’s heart, but it is hampered by the need to preserve the legacy  of maintaining complex and user-friendly IDE. That with the perceived commercial need to provide all the present abilities of the standalone builder mean that it is not a realistic proposition. However we can simplify by focussing only on the pure language as used by the server - this is a manageable task.

Freeing Open Language from this legacy is a good thing. When it is truly free it can join on equal footing the other great languages out there, and still hopefully remain compatible with LiveCode Ltd’s commercial offering. For me my journey is about mastering the tools that enable the creation of modern languages, and these tools have come a long way.

I’m heading on a family holiday now - but over the next two weeks - in discussion and with the advice of whoever is interested - Ill get a web site up for the project.

📆    Schedule a call with me