Stack with the same name loop

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Oct 7 13:45:13 EDT 2021

Standalone building needs to be a separate process.

In the olden days, standalones were build by merging the stack file on
disk with the engine, with no changes or additions to objects inside the
stack.

When new features were introduced which requiring adding library button
inside a newly-created group on the mainstack's first card, then later
adding more options to add and separate substacks/other stack files, the
build process became much more complex.

In the olden days you could be deep in your work context, running your
app with specific windows open with certain data set up just as you need
it to observe what you're working on, then select "Build Standalone" and
nothing you've so carefully arranged is at all altered; the standalone
is quickly built in a second or so and you can continue with what you're
doing.

Accommodating the newer stack-altering features has created a world in
which you lose your work context, windows appear and disappear in a
dizzying display, it sometimes takes a very long time, and when
everything settles down if it all goes well and the jostling finally
subsides, you're left with a work context that has your mainstack open
but everything else you've carefully arranged is gone.

Tons of code have been added to the IDE to account for the many
implications that come along with attempting to make copies of stacks in
memory, initializing them to be able to add/modify them, doing those
mods, and then attempting to restore at least the bare minimum of the
work context you'd had.

Along the way, all that added IDE code has led to side-effects, like
those discussed in this thread.

As a separate process, the Standalone Builder need not bother with any
concern about duplicate stacks at all, because there wouldn't be any.

But the biggest benefit is restoring the smooth, enjoyable workflows we
once had, back when we didn't have to pause to ask ourselves if we
really need to make that test build, because doing so will dramatically
alter our workspace.

Bonus that new users won't have to watch the parade of stacks flashing
about during the sometimes-lengthy process.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems