slow responsiveness on windows - what was it like?

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Tue Mar 30 10:30:25 EDT 2021

Win 10 VM SSD LC 9.6.1

As of late the IDE SE is generally OK. In the past I have had the "scroll to
end of script" nightmare when copying text with the mouse but have not seen
it in 9.6.1. The line numbers freezing happens sometimes while debugging.
Closing/opening the SE usually fixes it. It seems to happen after the script
is stopped either buy a runtime error or stopping the debugger in the SE.

The big responsiveness issue I have is a card taking 10-60 seconds to render
as it varies from 5-200 groups each with one field. I figured it was me
because I rolled my own device independence resizing library. This turned
out not to be the case. I stepped though/put in timers and found that after
the F11 on the last "pass opencard" the IDE goes up to 100% CPU(on that
core) for 10-60 seconds. Then everything is back to normal. If I close the
SE it becomes faster but not as fast as a standalone. So when I know that
the card will have more than say 10 groups I close the SE to render it and
then reopen the SE to make changes.

<editorial comment> LC is still my go to for speed of coding/deploying. When
I flip to JavaScript or VB it is sooo painful to do text manipulation. I am
a LC server cheerleader! Building https APIs in minutes by leveraging my
desktop library is a real time saver. LC server might not scale up to
millions of users but if I had millions of users I would not be coding
anymore. </editorial comment>

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services