We don't need a Player (was Re: New(?) Idea for Standalones)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Mar 29 16:55:14 EDT 2021

Trevor DeVore wrote:

 > On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 1:24 PM Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> Trevor DeVore wrote:
 >>
 >>  > On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 12:31 PM Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>  >> Add-ons to the product experience can be a useful temporary
 >>  >> workaround for long-time users, but if we step back and look
 >>  >> at the gestalt of the user experience they're not a true
 >>  >> solution.
 >>  >>
 >>  >
 >>  > Do you think that LiveCode should have built in support for all of
 >>  > the various installers such as DropDMG, InnoSetup, WIX, etc.?
 >>
 >> "All" is the biggest possible number, potentially infinite.  So
 >> logically, of course the only answer is "no".
 >
 > And that is why I like hooks into the standalone building process :-)
 >
 > Provide the baseline solution but make it extensible so that
 > developers who need more can integrate whatever they need into
 > building a standalone. The less manual steps the better.

#GMTA

Here's the bottom of the post you were replying to:

      One suitable solution in the box is all that's needed,
      with the option for folks to turn it off if they prefer
      using any other of the infinite variety of all possible
      solutions.

So yeah, I don't much mind whether we call them "hooks" or "options" or
even "doilies" as long as it supports the core need right out of the
box, without penalizing deeply-experienced professionals with specific
tool preferences.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems