mouseenter/mouseleave and pointer tool

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Mar 29 14:25:49 EDT 2021

Jim Lambert wrote:

 >> Klaus wrote:
 >> when the pointer tool is active, "mouseenter" and "mouseleave"
 >> handlers are executed nevertheless!?
 >>
 >> I don't this this is correct behaviour!
 >
 > I agree.
 > When the pointer tool is selected in the IDE one is supposedly in
 > Editing Mode.

This is a philosophical point in LC, created by a change in how tool
modes are presented.

Throughout all of xTalk history, and the history of the LC engine prior
to its acquisition in 2003, tool modes have always been presented as
options available to scripters like any other part of the language,
changeable with the "choose" command.

Most xTalk IDEs have lacked the confidence in their language to also
build their IDE in their own language, so this was less of an issue for
HC, OMO, Plus, and others.

But MetaCard, SuperCard, Gain Momentum provided runtime editing of the
sort we have with LiveCode.  While each had subtly different ways of
guiding the user to appreciate the differences in tool modes, their
audiences had less confusion, because they presented tool modes as tool
modes (language elements like any other available for us all to use),
rather than attempting to present a more consumer-app experience in
which the pointer tool is somehow not something a scripter could be
expected to ever want to use.

LC documents the "choose" command, but is designed in a way that
attempts to be both an xTalk dev environment and a consumer app,
resulting in an experience that lends many users to think of the pointer
tool as somehow not available among the "choose" options.

One of the most powerful moments of my scripting life was when I
launched SuperCard and was invited to explore one of the sample apps
that came with it, SampleDraw.  It was basically MacDraw, a decent
drawing app with vector graphics, document handling, and all that, but
SampleDraw even more capable, with features like polygon morphing, and
the whole thing written in xTalk.

That moment of seeing an app I'd known well reimplemented more
powerfully in a scripting language I enjoyed is what compelled me to
spend so many years enjoying xTalks.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems