We don't need a Player (was Re: New(?) Idea for Standalones)

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon Mar 29 13:12:46 EDT 2021

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 10:57 AM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <

> TL/DR:
>
> We don't need a generic player.
>
> What we need is an updated Standalone Builder, to provide more complete
> tooling and better guidance for building a modern standalone.

An easy way to extend the standalone building process with plugins is a
necessity IMO as well. For example, when packaging an app with Levure you
can add in Helpers to further customize the output generated when packaging
an app for distribution. In addition to handling signing, notarizing, and
stapling, one can generate a DMG using DropDMG, create an InnoSetup
installer script, creat a WIX installer script (creates a Windows installer
file that IT departments love), etc.

LiveCode doesn't need to build support for all of these in the SB, but it
should provide hooks so that plugins can further customize the process.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps