New(?) Idea for Standalones

james at thehales.id.au james at thehales.id.au
Sun Mar 28 21:20:55 EDT 2021

Hi Roger,

You wrote:

> Nope! Right clicking on a standalone I?m trying to share with my wife on her iMac w OS 11.2 results in this menu: Open Attachment - Quick Look Attachment - Save Attachment?. - Save to Downloads Folder - Share - Copy - Speech

This list of menu options looks like those that appear if you are right-clicking on an attachment in Mail.

The right-click menu being referred to here is only available when you are in the Finder.
So the app you sent to your wife’s machine (apparently by Mail) needs to be downloaded first. Then, in the Finder, locate the downloaded file and right-click on it.

The menu that appears will have as the first two options “Open” and “Show Package Contents”.
If the second option offered is not “Show Package Options” but “Open With” then you have not transferred an app but a document (perhaps the LC stack?)

Try this with other apps and documents on your wife’s mac to confirm the two types of option menus that come up.

Choosing “Open” for an application Finder context menu will, for unnotorized apps, will then bring up the dlog asking if you really do want to open this app. This only needs to be done the first time the app is opened.

James