Android error messages are crap

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Fri Mar 26 09:56:37 EDT 2021

So, I’m trying to set this machine for Android development. I have Android Studio, I’ve downloaded the needed SDKs and I’ve got the latest OpenJDK which appears to be jdk16.

Now, when I go and try pressing test on the IDE to test it on the device (which is authorized and appearing fine as a target and on adb), I get that useless:

“Could not compile service support class”

Which is not only not actionable, but it also can happen for any number of reasons. After seeing that it is really not clear what the problem is, or how to solve it.