Problem with Script Editor in LC 9.6.2 (rc3)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 25 14:44:10 EDT 2021

Sean Cole wrote:

 > RichardG,

Feel free to use simply "Richard" if you like.

 > That was a very long way of not answering the question. Very
 > insightful regarding the DG though. :)
 > It also went a long way of assuming the skill levels of the audience.
 > Some of us are not limited to xTalk level.

Where I wrote that it's "an oversimplification to arbitrarily divide the
world into two types of programmers, xTalkers and C coders", what I
meant to say is that it's an oversimplification to arbitrarily divide
the world into two types of programmers, xTalkers and C coders.

Sorry I was unable to make that clearer.

 > I understand C++ and why Trevor likely coded the DG using such.

My writing was even worse than I'd thought. Having once hired Trevor to
write some C++ for a project many years ago, I'm well aware of the
breadth of his skillset.

What I had attempted to illustrate there had nothing to do with coding
styles, but with a merely pragmatic tradeoff necessary for certain uses
of LC group objects.

 > My question, just to reestablish, was what on Earth could possibly
 > complicate the scrolling of the line-numbers in sync with the main
 > 'field'?

Gave it my best shot.

TL/DL:

1. I don't specifically know what the LC SE is doing there.

2. I don't generally believe it makes sense to describe anything as
simple until we take the time, however much patience that requires, to
understand the goals of the design.

 > Very occasionally the numbers freeze altogether until a click in
 > the editor which is an interesting aside and only partly related
 > to the question. I never notice a lag between the two areas.

That lag you just described awaiting the click?  That. That's one of the
observable lags I'm referring to.

 > 32-bit I feel is neither here nor there in relation to the syncing
 > or imperceivable lag, especially for the SE.

Agreed, which is why I wrote "the 32-bit coordinate space only applies
to controls, not the contents within text fields".

Coordinate space was only relevant in exploring why the DG uses dynamic
scroll updates, contrasting the DGs architectural decisions with those
used to populate line number fields, where such a choice is not
necessary but may reflect styles of habit.

 > Looking on github reveals that the majority of the code for the SE are
 > indeed, as suspected, written in livecodescript (xTalk ;)) by BHall
 > mostly, rather than CPP. And, as suspected, really quite simple and
 > unconvoluted as they can get. Barely anything to become difficult in
 > fixing for Henry's listed issue.
 > revsecommoneditorbehavior.livecodescript holds the key, lines
 > 2658-2721 most likely.

Looks like you've found your answer.

--
Richard Gaskin