[ANN] This Week in LiveCode 259

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Thu Mar 25 08:14:58 EDT 2021

> On 24 Mar 2021, at 17:11, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> I think there may be other questions in play as well.
> Will I learn anything from doing this?
> Will I have fun experimenting with it?
> Are there more pressing things I need to do instead?
> etc.

YES, a thousand times yes!

More than half of what I develop here falls into all these categories. I can push the “trying this just for fun” pretty far. The last project I made that was a fun experiment was https://andregarzia.com/2020/04/starting-project-moon-hermit.html <https://andregarzia.com/2020/04/starting-project-moon-hermit.html> and I still love it even though it is not really a project or product.

The book is framed around a mindset for building stuff for business needs, not for personal growth and understanding, and not for fun. It is more like: “these patterns are good when you’re doing something that we would normally call ‘a job’.” That doesn’t mean that every other mode of development is excluded or less important.

I think that the ethos of that book can be summarised as in being a mode of thinking that prioritises developer comfort and safety in maintaining a business or a long project.

Maybe, the next book will be about having fun while developing. Don’t know...