[ANN] New Book: Development Oriented Development

Martin Koob mkoob at rogers.com
Fri Mar 19 11:49:25 EDT 2021

Hi Andre

I am enjoying your new book. It demystifies for me plug-ins and how to create them. My mystification creates anxiety around venturing into creating a plugin much less adding existing plugins to my IDE and configuring them.  After reading the first sections of your book that anxiety is dissipating.

You advice to look for areas of friction in your workflow really relates to an experience I had recently.  For a new project I had to make lots of fields with lots of labels and changing the text of a label takes way longer than it should.  Finally, after years of grumbling to myself that this should be easier I created a handler that I added as a behaviour to a template label field.  Basically it allows you to set the text of a label by double clicking with the browse tool on a text label field and then entering the text in an answer dialog. I could then option drag the label field template and then change its text with a simple double click. As a bonus I could set it to align left by holding the option + double clicking the label field.

It worked ok speeding up that task but it was a handler incorporated in a specific project. I thought this should be incorporated into the IDE to really work as I intended but I wasn’t sure how I could do that. I had thoughts of frontscripts or backscripts or plugins in mind but I did not know how to work with any of these, and, due to the mystification factor which leads to anxiety which prevents me from trying new approaches I didn’t go any further with that.  Now after reading up to page 43 of your book I think that I should be able to create a plugin to add this feature to mould the IDE.

Now I am starting the section “What are your needs?” Well I already have my need in mind — a quick and easy way to set label field text.  My goal now is to create a plugin that will accomplish this.   Looking forward to learning how in the rest of your book.

Martin Koob.

Sent from my iPhone after much consternation trying to type with one finger.