Did I dream this ?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 5 13:26:33 EST 2021

Jim Lambert wrote:

> They would be handy properties. But in the meantime try this behavior:
> 	getProp xLoc
> 		return item 1 of the loc of me
> 	end xLoc
>
> 	getProp yLoc
> 		return item 2 of the loc of me
> 	end yLoc
>
> After assigning the behavior to any object you can just use:
> 	put the xloc of someObject
> 	put the yloc of someObject

...as long as you are always 100% certain that nothing in your code nor
any third-party library you're using locks messages when you need to
access those virtual properties.

When you have the luxury of such assurance, virtual properties are a
wonderful code style.

But I rarely have that luxury, so I rarely use getProp/setProp.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems