tsNet mail message not formatting

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 3 15:18:14 EST 2021

Brian Milby wrote:

 > If you export as text, then you get what is expected on Win/Linux and
 > get CR on Mac (which is wrong in my opinion).

Wrong, but at least consistently so. ;)

As a dialect of HyperTalk, LC maintains the "CR = ASCII 13" rule because
way back in '87 when HC was born that was what it was.

When macOS became a Unix around the turn of the century of course that
changed, and these days most Mac software use LF for line endings,
consistent with both Unix and Linux.

And with that we find ourselves stuck in a world of having to explain to
every new user that CR isn't really CR but LF, until you write it to a
file when it gets transformed into a CR that no one uses anymore.

If this were Python the solution would be simple enough: make it current
in the engine and "just" require everyone to rewrite their code if they
want to upgrade. :)

But we like that LC is among the few languages that prioritizes backward
compatibility.

Most of the time.

This one is such a weird outdated anomaly that I almost wouldn't mind
the pain of revising my code if it meant never having that awkward
conversation with once-eager newcomers ever again.

But that can be resolved another way: focusing on remarketing to
existing customers rather than marketing to grow the platform among new
customers minimizes any need to explain the past to new users.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems