workaround for cut-off text in native scroller?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jun 2 07:42:44 EDT 2021

On 02/06/2021 04:18, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

> I do ok on resizing routines until it comes to groups. Then I always
> end up reinventing things: when and where to lock messages, how to get
> things resized in the right order so as not to undo what I just did...
>
> If there are any rules of thumb I'd love to know them.

I can tell you mine - they work for me , but whether they work for you,
or anyone else, is a different matter.

1. NEVER lock message just to handle resizing.
       If you need to do that, you're already in a heap of trouble :-)

2. ALWAYS (and I mean always) set the lockLoc of a group.
     Don't let those uppity groups change their size - you need to be in
charge :-)

3. Work top-down in a (fairly) strict hierarchy. Let each level of
card/group handle the layout of its component pieces, allocate space for
them and "set the rect .." for each.

3a. Always resize/reposition things by setting their rect (not their
top/left/width/...).
       Every time I try to use those seemingly-convenient shorter forms,
I get in trouble :-)

4. Design in some logging mechanism so that if something is going wrong,
you can easily turn on logging and see what is happening, across ALL
your resizing group / controls.

5. In the very rare occasions where there is need to cross the hierarchy
as above, do it explicitly (e.g. I have a convention of sometimes having
a handler "presizecontrol" which returns a *preferred* size or minimum
size, which the upper levels of the hierarchy can use to check what
lower layer groups would like to be, can adjust their decisions
accordingly - and then resize ("set the rect ..") accordingly.

Alex.