Most streamlined method to get data

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Thu Jul 29 13:40:02 EDT 2021

On 7/29/21 9:24 AM, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:
> As grepophile, I'd go for some variation on

While I heartily approve of Ben's use of grep, here's another approach
using an array. Note that is somewhat specific to your data set, and
from the looks of the data my guess is that you're heading down the path
of csv madness.

on mouseUp pMouseBtnNo
    local tVar, tHeader, tCount, tOriginal

    put field 1 into tVar
    put line 1 of tVar into tHeader
    delete line 1 of tVar
    split tVar by cr

    repeat for each key tKey in tVar
       # transform "$8,303.32" into "$8303.32"
       repeat for each trueword tTrueWord in tVar[tKey]
          put tTrueWord into tOriginal
          replace comma with empty in tTrueWord
          replace tOriginal with tTrueWord in tVar[tKey]
       end repeat
       # now we can deal with commas as itemDelimiters
       put 1 into tCount
       repeat for each item tWord in tVar[tKey]
          put tWord into tVar[tKey][tCount]
          add 1 to tCount
       end repeat
    end repeat # for each key tKey in tVar

    # now pick out the desired total
    local tTotal, tOffset
    put itemoffset("Total", tHeader) into tOffset
    put tVar[5][tOffset] into tTotal
    breakpoint
end mouseUp

--