open secure socket... using certificate

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Fri Jan 29 00:46:17 EST 2021

With SSL the encryption occurs at the socket level, that is the socket is secured by virtue of it’s creation. With StartTLS, also an SSL protocol, the socket is first established, then a secure tunnel is created. (Transport Layer Security)

My point? The socket connection itself does not need to be secured, and indeed it’s less desirable if it is. An SSL encrypted certificate must be passed at least once so that host and client both have the public and private key. This is necessary when the host is unknown.

To Richard’s point, if you control the host AND the client, a certificate is not needed. You KNOW the host is secure. Simply pass encrypted traffic over an unsecured socket. The result is the same, only nothing about the method is ever passed over the socket connection.

I may misunderstand though.

Bob S