Call lc from php?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jan 23 15:02:49 EST 2021

revIgniter* is a wonderful framework, and one of most well-managed open
source projects in our community.  Ralf has delivered a faithful
re-envisioning of the popular WebIgniter framework for PHP, with some
very savvy twists that make it a joy for LiveCode scripters.

But WebIgniter is far from PHP's only server framework, and I'd guess
Ralf would agree that as valuable as revIgniter is, it isn't the only
possible solution for every conceivable type of web site, app, or service.

Reproducing many well-established PHP packages in LC is more possible
with frameworks like revIgniter than without.

But if the PHP package is sophisticated enough it'll be a lot of work.

And in many cases we're asked to extend systems we have no control over.

There are many good reasons to pursue integration with existing services
rather than replacing the entire service from scratch.

With my interest in Nextcloud as a backend, for example, I could save a
lot of time using revIgniter to build out self-signup. user permissions
groups, password reset, WebDAV support, OAuth in both directions,
headless REST, even federation, and an admin UI to manage it all. But
with Nextcloud I get all that with one Snap command, so I can jump right
into the client-side functionality which is my main interest on this
project.

Similarly, some of my work these days has me integrating LC apps with
popular CRMs - the good CRMs are very expensive to produce and not
easily replicated, even with a great framework like revIgniter.

Like anything else in development, it's just another case of choosing
the best tool for the task at hand.

For a wide range of projects, revIgniter is a perfect choice.

And when you need to integrate LC with an existing PHP system, we can do
that too.

* For those of you who haven't seen Ralf's recent work on the revIgniter
site, in addition to offering truly exemplary documentation I also
appreciate the little touches he puts in, like the SVG intro animation
for the top banner:
https://revigniter.com/

--
  Richard Gaskin