Comments for Properties in the Property Inspector?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Sat Jan 23 08:03:41 EST 2021

Random Thought of the Day:

Does anyone else wish that custom properties had an optional comment
field that could be viewed in the Property Inspector (PI)?

I realize you can always comment properties in the code where you use
them, but I find myself often in the PI looking at a Property that has,
say an enumerated set of values, and I don't remember what all the
values are, nor do I remember exactly where in the many stacks of code
the property is first documented. I find myself wishing each custom
property has a comment field.

I suppose I could create a library of setProp and getProp handlers for
every property I might like to document and document the values or
constraints there. I suppose if I am doing that extra degree of work
then I could enforce any constraints on the customer property in the
getProp and setProp handlers, but that seems like a non-trivial extra
amount of work just to remember that the custom property should only
have values of X, Y, and Z.

Thoughts?