Call lc from php?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jan 21 15:50:02 EST 2021

Rick Harrison wrote:
 >> On Jan 21, 2021, at 6:13 AM, Neville Smythe wrote:
 >> A slightly less cursory investigation informs me that
 >> <?php echo exec("./cgi-bin/livecode--server.cgi sayHello.lc") ?>
 >
 > Why are you still using PHP when LC is better?

I agree of course that LC is a strong contender against any popular
server-side language, as LC's chunk expressions and self-documenting
style make clear.

But it isn't nearly as popular.

LC is where Ruby was before Rails: an interesting and useful language
largely underappreciated for server work.

We don't even have a single generalized user management library for LC,
let alone any of the CMSes, CRMs, LMSes, or hundreds of other categories
where PHP is well established.

So one way LC can play a growing role in server development is through
integration with existing services.

And odds are those existing services are written in PHP.

So Neville's question is one we might all ask ourselves:

How can we use LC to add new capabilities to the PHP-based systems that
run most of the online world?

For my own part I've been exploring ways LC can be usefully integrated
with the breadth of services provided with Nextcloud, which like most
server systems is written in PHP.

I could theoretically reinvent everything in Nextcloud using LC, but
given the countless thousands of hours that have gone into the vast
suite of apps that community provides, why would I?

Right out of the box I get an API for user management, with access to
arbitrary user-specific storage via WebDAV. One line of install code
gives me a ready-to-go backend for a wide range of apps, letting me
focus on the client side.

Lately I've begun taking that further, poking around the server side
similar to whatever Neville's working on, looking for ways to integrate
LC services with the services already built into Nextcloud.

Rewriting Nextcloud from scratch would be doable but prohibitively
expensive.  But building on top of the Nextcloud platform lets me stand
on the shoulders of giants, to see much further than I could on my own.

Integration is increasingly a core part of what my clients ask me to do
as well.

The days of monolithic one-size-fits-all systems are passing, if they
haven't passed already.

 From here forward, the biggest opportunities are in integration with
well established services.

This not only lets us focus on the specific functionality we enjoy
building, but also carries the additional benefit for all of us in the
LC community in introducing our favorite language into the communities
for those systems.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems