Considering work with livecode server

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jan 19 10:33:53 EST 2021

Andre Garzia wrote:

 > But apps that are browsers to bundled content are OK. That is how you
 > get Apache Cordova and Phonegap to work.
 >
 > On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 02:06, Mark Wieder wrote:
 >>
 >>> On 1/18/21 2:20 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode wrote:
 >>> Building a single web-based app that avoids the world of all
 >> the mobile apps and desktop idiosyncrasies is attractive.
 >>
 >> I thought mobile stores (Apple, etc) explicitly disallowed apps that
 >> were essentially just web browsers to external content.

Roger that, Andre. Apple's emphasis has to do with the user experience,
rather than the technical means by which that experience is derived.

What they want to avoid is an app that could just as easily have been a
web site.  It's one of the few areas in which Apple (or any of the Big
Five) support the Open Web.

Indeed, even in their most draconian moment, the
infamous-and-ultimately-backpedaled debacle with iOS SDK v4,0 Section
3.3.1 mess of 2010, they explicitly blessed JavaScript frameworks as a
tech stack for deploying native iOS apps.

In this case here, I believe Bill was looking to bypass self-appointed
gatekeepers altogether, using "web app" to refer to the Open Web, beyond
the control of FAANG.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems