Considering work with livecode server

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Tue Jan 19 08:56:49 EST 2021

Bill,

Let me second what Richard said, you'd be better served by building desktop
stack apps than by building web apps. There is no silver bullet for doing
web work, there is no magical technology that makes it as easy as LC. The
Web is a design by committee with various multi-billion companies doing
power plays around it. To be effective on the web, you need to learn HTML,
CSS, and JS. You don't need to be an expert, but you need to learn up to
some intermediate level to do the kind of interactions you are talking
about. The web has quirks and some anachronisms in it but that is because
it can't afford to break compatibility with itself. A website from 1995
needs to be just as valid to the browser as one from 2021. What this means
is that there are still people programming the web as if it still is 1995,
so the quality of material you find online varies a lot. I'm happy that I
know it well but when I need some app on my day to day work, I will more
often turn to LC than building a web solution.

You can build richer experiences more easily by using LC and shipping a
loader standalone than by using LC server without knowing JS.

Kind regards