Threads in LC

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 06:25:22 EST 2021

I would find it very helpful if we would share some code in this “thread” about threads?

At the moment I have a need to break up a heavy indexing task on a LiveCode server into a series of smaller steps that execute asynchronously.

The web server receives a webhook  notifying it that there is some new data that needs indexing, and should reply immediately notifying receipt of the webhook.

This is one of the “easy” cases Bob was referring too I think. But I’m not sure until I see and can test the code what the right approach is. Approaches could be:

1) In LiveCode server return “put” a response the after use wait / send in time to do indexing. Does this work and not lockup the server?

2) Schedule cron jobs with LiveCode

3) Use shell commands such as “at” to schedule a task at a future time.

4) Use tools that can manage spawning of LiveCode server pseudo-threads

While this example might be server centric, I suspect that many of the principles carry over to the desktop and it is the most common use case for a need for “threads”