LiveCode Advanced Application Architecture eBook price reduced

William Prothero waprothero at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 14:18:33 EST 2021

Andre,
Thanks for this. I very much agree with you about the need for more Livecode books. For example, online education has become a big deal because of the pandemic. It won’t go away after it’s over, because media and content are being developed that will be applied to support live classes and their teachers. Topics that come to mind are how to connect Livecode apps to course management systems, how to make information presentation apps that are engaging, with elements of reader response and interaction, and ways of reporting to the teacher, etc.

I play jazz piano, as an amateur, though. I get emails from several jazz teachers that contain free stuff, to initiate subscriptions for more detailed instruction, available at their web site. If you could identify challenges that developers face and create books that address those challenges, it might work. Personally, I find many of the Livecode support dictionary very good at the details, but for solving particular higher level problems, it is weak. The discussions on this list are very helpful.

Livecode is touted as very easy to get started with. However, building a real application is not that easy. Deployment is an ever changing challenge. For myself, I have to relearn the deployment techniques every time, because I don’t deploy very often. I depend on folks who share their deployment help apps and knowledge on this list.

A big challenge is that the technology is constantly changing and keeping current is a big challenge. I see that a huge amount of online materials must work in a browser, which vastly simplifies cross platform issues. However, Livecode will probably need to do a lot more to support browser deployment than they have to date. Perhaps a book that addresses web deployment would be very popular, especially if it was able to implement some of the features that are normally limited to the desktop.

Thanks for reading some of my ramblings.

Good luck, Andre

William Prothero
https://earthlearningsolutions.org