LiveCode Advanced Application Architecture eBook price reduced

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Sun Jan 3 13:26:50 EST 2021

Kee, Lagi, Chip, and Bob,

Thanks again for the kind words. I hope you all enjoy the book. :-)

Let me clarify some things because I can see how people are confused about
me messaging about the book now. So, the book hasn't changed, this is not
an update on the content. This was a price reduction I made because I want
to prepare myself to start selling books on Amazon. You may not be aware
but if I price the book between 1.99 and 9.99 on Amazon, I get 70%
royalties. But, if I price it above 9.99, I get only 35%. This means that I
get more money from pricing it 9.99 than if I price it higher, unless I
price it much higher. Basically, 9.99 gives the the same amount of
royalties as if I priced it 20. That is of course only for Amazon. All the
other players in the market give you 70% regardless of how you price it.
Amazon makes this rule to force the prices down. And before you think this
is good, be aware that this makes it a lot harder to make a living out of
books. Which makes it detrimental to the quality of books being shipped
since an author can't justify working longer or producing a larger book
since they won't be able to charge a fair price. But that is publishing
politics and I won't go too deep into it here, I just thought you folks
should know.

So that little campaign was made to:

* Teach me how to use book brush which is an online tool to create
specialized artwork for book authors/publishers. I used to make the nice
art you might have seen on the FB group or the forum.
* Let me see if people will actually buy a 9.99 book. My leanpub royalties
page (which has some automatic statistical recommendation in it) was
telling me to price the book higher than 20.
* Check if people are OK buying directly from my site, which makes me much
more confident of the process and in control.

I'm working towards switching from being a developer to being a writer.
This is a long process and this was a step forward. The next step is
producing a new LC book from scratch without relying on Leanpub and making
it available in multiple stores. It will probably be a short book, very
focused on some specific topic that I haven't yet decided on.

I believe that we need more books in our community :-)

Kind regards
Andre

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 at 23:54, Lagi Pittas via use-livecode <