SSL Error - question from Stack Overflow

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Feb 16 13:06:05 EST 2021

Hi all,

I came across this question on stack overflow. I like to try to give good LiveCode answers there when I can, just to do a little to boost the reputation of the LC community there. But I don’t have a clue on this one.

<quote>
A Livecode script:
get URL "https://www.uspto.gov/patent/laws-and-regulations/patent-term-extension/patent-terms-extended-under-35-usc-156"
Winds up with the following in "the result":

 tsneterr: (56) SSLRead() return error -9806

I tried setting libURLSetSSLVerification to both true and false, but got the same error each time. Any ideas why this is happening, and is there a solution?
</quote>

I verified that this error is returned consistently in the result. Anybody have any ideas? Charles, are you lurking perhaps?

Devin

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities