LC Roadmap

Tore Nilsen tore.nilsen at me.com
Sun Feb 14 14:16:24 EST 2021

I am currently working as a teacher in an upper secondary school in Norway. I teach Computer Science and languages like English and Norwegian. Besides working as a teacher for more than 20 years, I have also experience from running various businesses. The combination of the two very different, but also in some parts, very common experiences, forms the basis of my thoughts on this topic.

From being in charge of running a business with about 20 employees and more than 100 recurring customers, I have learnt the importance of due diligence in all aspects of running the business. Whenever I was about to make a promise to a customer, I alone was responsible for making sure I could keep this promise. If the job at hand required new tools, I would never commit to the task before I actually had said tool at my disposal. Sure enough, I could find vendors who would promise to deliver on time, but to me such promises are nothing more than a good intention.

I look at the LC Roadmap in very much the same way. As a teacher I think I understand why the LC Roadmap is not a reliable tool to use for planning future solutions. As a teacher I am supposed to make plans in advance. I should make a plan for the whole of the school year, and a plan for each semester, the latter more detailed than the first. They are very much like the roadmap or the promises from vendors.

In reality these plans are not worth the bytes they occupy on the server. To be honest, even the plans I just made for next week and for each lesson next week, will fail one way or another. Such is the nature of plans vs. reality. And it is not about me or anyone else not caring about fulfilling the promises of the plans. It is simply because I am not able to control every variable that will affect the work we do.

As developers it should not be difficult for us to understand that a roadmap is just an expression of what LC Ltd  hopes to achieve within a given timeframe. It should not be considered to be a solid basis for making future promises to our customers. If we choose to do so, it would be just as stupid as if I chose to press on with my plans for this week, without any consideration to what happened in the classroom last week. And the responsibility would be with us, not the plans or the roadmaps.

On the question on whether or not the LC Roadmap should be updated, the answer is of course, yes. All plans that are outdated should be updated. But the new plans should be treated with the same amount of caution as the previous ones. Especially so if our livelihood depends on how we treat these roadmaps.

Best regards
Tore Nilsen