Using MySQL on (headless) Linux

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Feb 4 01:58:25 EST 2021

On 2021-02-03 20:07, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
>> LC Server had already been ruled out (for whatever reason) in an
>> earlier part of the thread...
>
> That's too bad. LC Server is LiveCode build designed specifically for
> command line use.

Interesting - I don't remember that being what I specifically designed
it for :P

LiveCode Server was *specifically designed* to be used just like PHP -
allowing you to interpolate code with HTML output for the purposes of
constructing webpages on the fly, sitting behind a web-server... That's
why it has unique syntax designed precisely for a CGI environment, and
operating in that PHP-like manner.

Making it run in command-line mode as well was an obvious thing to do,
and also made up for the fact (at the time) that bare standalone engines
would not launch a stack on the command-line (as that was a rather
gaping licensing hole which was closed between v3 and v4
IIRC). [ It also made it easier to test the general features of it! ]

Since the advent of the community edition, however, and perhaps more
importantly script-only-stacks - standalone engines running with -ui can
be just as convenient...

Assuming there isn't a feature-requiring reason to use one over the
other, then it pretty much comes down to how you want to write your text
based scripts.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps