How to extract whole text from a PDF file with the PDF widget?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Fri Dec 10 20:01:59 EST 2021

Yes, I am familiar with the XPDF external (based on Google's PDFium
library), having designed it and paid Monte to code it and then turned
it over to LiveCode.

I was referring to the PDF Widget (also based on Google's PDFium), which
should have a comparable property for fetching the text of a page. The
LC dictionary does not list any property for returning the page text, so
I assume that is a Dictionary/Documentation error and that Monte can
tell us the correct property of the PDF widget that will return the text
of a page.

On 12/10/2021 7:05 PM, matthias rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
> Paul,
>
> here on mac OS the dictionary of LC 10 DP1 definitely lists the function XPDFViewer_Text(viewerName, pageNumber).
> Btw. checking this showed me that this function seems to be deprecated and instead the command
>       XPDFViewer_Unicode viewerName, pageNumber, variableName
> should be used.
>

>> Am 10.12.2021 um 23:22 schrieb Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>:
>>
>> There must be an undocumented property for the text of a page - there was a function to return the full text of a page in the External (XPDF) and to get the full text of the PDF file, you just stepped through the pages (1..N) getting and concatenating the page text.
>>
>> Monte? LC 10.0.0 Dictionary does not list a property for the page text.
>>

>> On 12/10/2021 4:46 PM, Torsten Holmer via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a PDF file with text and pictures, but I just want the text.
>>>
>>> I can do it manually with Ctrl-A and Ctrl-Copy by viewing the file with Preview on MacOS.
>>>
>>> I have a business licence and want to use the PDF widget but I cannot find a way to do it.
>>>
>>> Can someone help me out?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Torsten